Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Joining the Family

Ah, yes... Summer once again, and since the cat is away let the dogs play! Besides, Charlie is glad to take up Baxter’s slack anytime!

You may remember that our Charlie is a rescue dog. We adopted him from the Westmoreland County Animal Shelter in Greensburg. I remember the day in vivid detail, but to make a long story short, we brought Charlie home the day we met him. I was both afraid and excited. We had all the “things” you need to have a dog. We had a fenced yard and a dog crate. The shelter gave us a leash and some food. Two simple plastic bowls could serve for water and kibble. It seemed we were ready to add this canine to our family. But, we all know, adding a pet to your life is not that simple. Pets need special care and instruction. A pet needs to be conformed to its new family. Pet parents must accommodate feeding and bathroom schedules. Pets must learn the rules of the household, like when it is ok and not ok to bark, which food is off limits, and how jumping up is not an appropriate greeting. Charlie learned all these things in time, and we learned about his schedule and habits. Although it wasn’t instantaneous, there is a good  fit with this dog and our family.

The same thing happened for me when I became a member of the church. I was an adult member seeking to become part of the Catholic family. On the surface it seemed I was ready. I had been baptized Catholic, was attending Mass regularly, and was living a simple married life with children. But, just like with Charlie, there was more to it than that! There were things I needed to learn about the Catholic tradition. I needed to have my marriage validated. I needed to learn to convert my heart and my attitude. I didn’t just learn these things in a class, though. I learned them from my parish family. By their patience and example I learned. Through their prayers, I was lifted up. In their love, I began to be converted.

If you or someone you know is looking for God, they may find His presence here. The RCIA is an opportunity for them to see if the Catholic understanding of God resonates with them. Just remember, you don’t just walk in, it takes time. It isn’t meant as punishment, it’s a gift from God.

Christy Cabaniss - Parish Minister