Wednesday, May 1, 2013

CAT AND MOUSE

Because Baxter is a house cat, he never has the pleasure of being on the hunt.  I can see his stalking and prowling instincts at work sometimes, but toy rodents and birds only go so far in keeping these active and alert.  Maybe that is why he makes up his own cat and mouse game trying to capture me in his scheme.  Here's how it works.

Baxter's automatic feeder revolves with a new meal at 4:30 every afternoon.  I keep the food supply replenished and reset the timer in the feeder to be sure this happens.  I have often witnessed the mechanism work to deliver the 1/4 cup of kibble to its eager client.  Yet, if I am not present for a particular feeding, Baxter starts to play tricks with me when I come home.  He tries to deceive me into offering another meal.  He begins with his mournful look followed by his piercing cries of hunger.  One would think he hadn't had food in days, when, in fact, it was an hour ago.  Then he rubs up against me and the feeder to charm me into an unplanned portion.  Sometimes his act is so good, I begin to doubt myself.  I open the lid to check the number of empty and full compartments.  Sure enough, the feeder is as efficient as clockwork, but Baxter is trying to trick me into another meal, one that is unplanned, undeserved, and certainly unneeded.  Instead of hunting for his food, Baxter's domesticated instincts now drive him into tricking for more treats.  He pretends the scheduled meal never happened and feigns hunger pains and neglect, hoping this masquerade will get him more than he needs.

We can play the same game with each other and with God.  We make ourselves out to be neglected and abused, thinking that others will feel sorry for us and give us what we want.  We play the "poor victim" card, trying to trump any other needs and concerns with our own.  We want attention, and we do whatever it takes to get it.  We play ourselves off against others, so that our interests and demands are heard above theirs and dominate the agenda.  After all, how can anything be more important than my needs and concerns.  Otherwise, no one loves me or cares about me.  Like Baxter, we can play this part well.

But God is up to our tricks, and He won't play along.  He doesn't feed self pity or the deception to get it.  To God, everyone is precious and deserves respect, but no one is the center of the universe.  God lives and acts from the center as our Creator and Redeemer.  We are here to serve God by serving each other's real and genuine needs.  This may not always please or satisfy them, but it will help to keep them well spiritually and personally. Refusing to be tricked or manipulated into satisfying our own or others' selfish egos allows God to use us for genuine service in His name.  The areas of real poverty in body and spirit need fed by us, not the overindulgence of our pride seeking arrogant recognition.  Feeding such instincts only leads to spiritual heart attack and eventual death.

Cat and mouse games are for feral creatures and unevangelized humans.  Disciples don't play games with each other, but they serve each other as Other Christ's, fed together at the one table of the Lord and sent to invite others to that feast.